Saturday 4 May 2013

Chapter 3

Jessie


I tossed and turned throughout the night. Giselle must be asleep for she had stopped singing.


It felt weird knowing that we were going into the army and fighting against the blasted commies. I shut my eyes, trying to fall asleep to the sound of the wind in the trees.


Restless sleep finally came. I dreamt a very weird dream. I woke up in a white room, with a white, extremely bright light which source I could not find. Suddenly it all faded into a dark pool of green. I found myself in the green army uniform, a back-breaking field pack on my shoulders, a rifle killing my arms, a helmet preventing me from thinking straight and heavy black boots that made my legs feel like stone. Vines grew from the soil and wrapped around me, tying me to the ground.


Part of the trees parted and a white pool appeared. I saw scenes of my life flashing in front of me. They were all of my life before my parents death. I didn't want to remember. I didn't want to see how it ended. I screamed, I struggled, I kicked and punched. A colourful list of words poured out of my mouth.


"GAHHHH!!!" I shrieked, sitting straight up.


"WHAT DA F*CK?" Giselle yelled,literally kicking down the door. Each of her hands gripped onto an army knife.

She relaxed when she saw my pale face, body drenched in cold sweat. She lowered the knives slowly and her shoulders relieved completely. She walked calmly towards me, dropping the knives on the mattress.

"I know you had one knife. Where did the other own come from though?" I asked weakly.

"It was in the trunk," she replied, poker-faced. "What happened?" She continued, sitting on the end of my mattress.

I told her about the dream. She smiled and gave my hand a squeeze.

"It's just a dream. It can't happen in reality. Don't worry about it," she whispered.

I looked at her face. I saw my pained face reflected in her eyes. In the dim moonlight, her eyes were like never-ending black holes.

I smiled and nodded my head. I lay down and Giselle went back to her own mattress.

***************************************

The next morning, Giselle woke up first. She went to the bathroom to tape her chest in skin-coloured bandages.

When it was my turn, I took longer, fiddling with the bondages. It was easier for Giselle, being rather flat-chested already. I had to struggle for ages before I looked reasonably like a man.

After breakfast, I pocketed the last of the rice and took a deep breath. We were really doing this. Wow. I looked at Giselle. Her face was tight and stiff, showing no emotion. Did Jason really meant that much to her?

I looked around the place which I called home for the last time and picked up the suitcase.

“I’m gonna miss this place...” I whispered.

“Me too... I wish I had my instruments...” Giselle said.

I gave her a comforting smile. Then we both nodded at each other and set off. It was gonna be a long journey. On the ferry, I watched the island growing smaller and smaller in the distance. Giselle was lying on the seats with her legs propped up. I looked at myself. I was still sitting in a girly way. Oh sh*t. I had to act like a guy now. Time to learn from Giselle.

Giselle could be a tomboy when she wanted. But for me, it was harder. I was more ladylike. Would I survive? I uncrossed my legs and propped one up on the bench.

We reached Singapore really soon. Giselle took both our suitcases and walked out stolidly while I followed behind. When we reached the top, I took back my suitcase.

“Where do we go..?”

“Probably to Tekong..? Wait. Lemme check the map.”

Giselle went to search for a map while I sat on the bench. I pulled at the rough collar of the polo tee I was wearing.

“Tekong isn’t far from Ubin. Oh my God. are you effing serious. It’s behind Ubin.” Giselle laughed.

I rolled my eye playfully at her. This retard was my best friend.

“Anyway, it’s not like there’s a ferry on Ubin that’ll take us. C’mon. We should get moving!” I said.

Giselle nodded. We hailed a cab to take us to the SAF ferry terminal.

Halfway through, I realised an important factor we had left out.

“Giselle! What about our identification? We don’t have male passports!”

“One step ahead of you. Here.”

Giselle pulled out two passports from her pocket. One was Bruce’s and the other was Mr Lim’s nephew, Keithan, who was not only wheelchair bound, but also had a startling resemblance to Giselle. I took Bruce’s.

“Looks like from now on, My name is Bruce and yours is Keith.”

“Oh please. Call me Kian. Kieth doesn't suit me!” Giselle laughed, striking a pose. 


I laughed. Giselle always seemed to know how to cheer me up. My eye caught a glint of metal peeking through her collar.

“What’s that?” I asked, grabbing at it.

“DON’T TOUCH IT.” Giselle almost yelled.

“What is it?”

“It’s a locket I found. I never knew it existed until we packed. It fell out of the suitcase. It’s the last memory of my family, my music and Jason...”

She popped it open and I saw a bunch of people as well as Jason with his arm around Giselle. She had a smile on her face and looked happy, carefree. Instead of the current, hurt, stiffness she always wore. She snapped it shut.

We were quiet for the rest of the journey until we reached the terminal. Giselle thanked the uncle and dropped a $10 note in his hand before jumping out.

We crossed our fingers as we tapped the passports and the officers stationed checked our faces. With a stroke of luck, it worked and we were admitted into the ferry.

We sat at the back of the ferry, surrounded by a bunch of guys. This was our first step into army...

*****VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT A/N*****

OK. So I’m pretty sure that SAF doesn’t take your attendance or whatever so lightly. BUT FOR THE SAKE OF THE STORY LET’S JUST THINK THEY DO! And I know this chapter is quite boring but it’s sort of a filler so deal with it. Hahaha Next chapter will have some humour. Promise~!! Have a nice day! Hahaha ^_^

XOXO Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment