Sunday 12 May 2013

Chapter 4


Giselle

We were lucky to get a seat near the window. I sat at the window, looking out into the sea, the horizon. The horizon in the distance reminded me of Jason who was far away in Pohang. Jason... Are you alright..? How are you? What would you do if you found out I’m in the army? Where are you? Did you escape before the bomb?


I felt a tear slide down my right cheek. No. I can’t cry. Not now. I quickly brushed it off before anyone could see. I slumped further down into the chair, my face still turned and facing out of the window. Jason’s smile flashed into my mind. I let a small smile creep onto my poker face.

When the ship docked, Jessie and I, along with the other guys walked out. We both tried to keep a poker face on while walking. Jessie was frowning at the fact that some guy had pushed her. But she couldn’t scream at him or her voice would give her away. I kept my face stone hard with anger at the commies.

We assembled in squat position with a random platoon of guys. Thank God I joined the marching band for three years and knew all the drills. Thank goodness Jessie had learnt some drills while in the girl guides.

“NINJA COMPANY REPORT.” The commander(?) yelled.

“NINJA COMPANY REPORT FULL STRENGTH SIR.” The guys around us shouted.

Well, looks like I’m in the Ninja Company...

“PLATOON 1 REPORT.”

“PLATOON 1 FULL STRENGTH SIR.”

Okay. I’m not in platoon 1...

“PLATOON 2 REPORT.”

“PLATOON 2 FULL STRENGTH SIR.” the dudes around me shouted.

Ninja Company, Platoon 2. Got it.

Wonder if anyone will notice a new face? Nah. They shouldn’t. Hopefully.

“OK. Gentlemen. Singapore is at war. Understand? You are here, to protect the people, the land, the nation, the country. You are all MEN. I expect you to know that war, is not a game. It is ENTIRELY different from your Call Of Duty, Assassins Creed and all that. IS THAT CLEAR.”

“YES SIR.”

“LOUDER. ARE YOU A BUNCH OF GUNIANGS?”

“NO SIR.”

“I SAID IS THAT CLEAR?”

“YES SIR.”

“GOOD. Tomorrow morning, fall in 5am! NOW. COLLECT UNIFORM, GO TO BUNK AND REST.”

The guys clapped their hands twice and yelled, “NINJA!” while punching the air, before running up the block.

So this is Army... I thought.

Jessie and I queued up to collect our uniform. Behind me was a tall guy with a rather messy mohawk. He was chatting with his mates. They were all laughing rather rowdily. I rolled my eyes at them and Jessie saw. She laughed and punched my shoulder.

She hit me a tad too hard and I fell back, into the guy.

“OI!” He yelled.

“Sorry.” I turned around briefly and muttered, before turning back.

“Sorry? Sorry only?”

“Well what the f*ck do you want me to do? Fall to the ground, kiss your feet and yell up to the Heavens?” I retorted.

He seemed a bit taken aback.

“No. Just kidding... What’s your name?”

“Gi... I mean. Kian.”

“Cool I’m Tosh. Tosh Zhang. But some people know me as Tosh Rock.”

I nodded. Jessie was nudging me, chewing her lip.

“What?” I hissed.

“That’s... Tosh. Tosh Rock! Don’t you know?”

“Do I look like I do?”

“He’s the YouTuber. The rapper. He’s from the Grizzle Grind Crew.” Jessie hissed back.

Tosh must have heard.

“Hey. You know me?”

“No sh*t Sherlock.” I muttered.

“Oi Tosh! Who are you talking to?” his friend behind him jostled his way.

“Kian and...?”

“Bruce. Bruce Lee.” Jessie replied.

“HAHAHAHAHA! WHAT. BRUCE LEE? We’ve got a fighter in our platoon too. OI IP MAN! Come here and meet your disciple!”

A lanky boy with a huge mouth pushed through. “What disciple?” He asked.

“Dude’s name is Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee was IP Man’s disciple. HAHAHA” Tosh explained.

“Hey Bruce! My name is Noah Yap but my friends call me IP Man.”

“I HEARD BRUCE LEE.” A bespectacled guy walking past heard and stopped.

“Eh Maxi!” the guy who had jostled his way from behind Tosh earlier, called. He had slanting cheek bones and rather thick lips.

“Lobang!” Maxi, the bespectacled boy, said giving a hi-5.

“And you are?” Jessie asked.

“Weiliang. Some people call me Lobang.” He replied in Chinese, grinning. “Eh. Where’s Ridhwan and Muthu?”

“Both back in bunk. I think Muthu’s asleep. Ridhwan is probably in the toilet.”

“What company and platoon are you guys anyway?”  Tosh broke in.

“Ninja Comp. Platoon 2. Y’all?” I asked.

“Nice! Same!” A guy standing at the side of the group said.

“Haha!” Tosh said, giving him a bro fist. “New peeps in the platoon!”

I hadn’t noticed him before. It was the first time he said anything. I looked at him. His smile was so familiar... And his eyes had a particular, special shade of brown... His face looked so... familiar.... Where have I.....

Jason.

His smile was like Jason’s..... Their eyes had the same special and unique shade of brown... Jason..........

Oh My God.



A/N: Ayyo~! Hahaha So in case y’all didn’t ALREADY know, I have created a twitter account! You can follow me and receive updates @abtmfanfics
I have also installed a chat box on my blog! But please. No dissing people, fandoms, etc. What do you think of the chappie? ^_^ Oh. BTW, I won’t be able to update for sometime... Exams are here. Gotta focus! But haiz. I’d rather write... :P Kk~ Buaii~~!! ^_^


XOXO ~Angel~

No comments:

Post a Comment