Saturday 4 May 2013

Chapter 2


Giselle


“I’m joining the Army.” I said.


“Giselle... You can’t...” Jessie said.

“Why not? If a guy can hold a rifle... Why shouldn’t a girl?”

Jessie contemplated my point.

"Look Jess. I'm not gonna just sit here all day through the war. I'm joining the army. I want to kill those f*cling commie bastards who killed Jason," I stated with confidence. My voice edged with sharp coldness that even I was surprised.

"Giselle... Are you sure?" Bruce whispered.

I looked at Bruce. His dark brown hair contrasted against his pale face. His jaw was grit, teeth framing his scarlet lips. His eyes reflected a pain I could not identify.

I nodded in response. My mind was made up. I wasn't going to let Jay's death be unfair. Those commies are going to die!

As if to reinstate my point, I pulled my pocket knife out and with a swift slice, locks of my hair fell to the ground and I was left with a short, cropped page-boy like hair style. I let a tear fall down my cheek at the loss of my hair but that was all.

"Giselle..." Bruce and Jessie whispered.

Suddenly Jessie jumped up.

"Then I'm coming with you!"

"What?!" Bruce shrieked.

I went to Jessie and flung my arms around her.

"Are you sure?" I whispered.

I felt her head nod in response. Jessie walked over to Bruce and squeezed him.

"Bruce. You and I both know it's for the best. Don't worry. I'll live. I will survive. I will come home alive. You can stay with Mr Lim. His house us in the middle if the forest next to the lake. You'll both be safe. Imagine sitting by the river and drawing!"

I smiled. I was going to miss this quaint island. I don't think I can bring my instruments along and that is the only bad thing. I will always remember playing in this shophouse with Jessie and Bruce. I will never forget this moment, this feeling now.

"We will leave the day after tomorrow. We have to pack. C'mon." I said.

Jessie and I went to our shared room. I took out the suitcase I used when I first arrived here. I hadn't touched it since. A cake of dust covered it. Taking a wet rag, I wiped it clean. The moment I opened it, a locket fell out.

"Eh?" I whispered in surprise as I'd never seen it before.

I popped it open. Inside was a picture of me surrounded by my precious instruments, my past friends and my loved family. With an arm draped around my shoulder was Jason.

"What's that?" Jessie asked from behind.

Snapping it shut, I shook my head. My grip tightened on the silver lump if metal.

"It's nothing. Keep packing."

When Jessie wasn't watching, I quickly fastened it around my neck. By the time we were done packing it was noon.

"Since you two are going to the army soon, we should spend our remaining time together happily. What do you guys want to do?" Bruce asked.

After some discussion, we walked to the lake nearby. Well, Bruce limped but I supposed he wanted to spend a longer time there with us so it took him faster than usual to reach the lake.

When we got to the lake, the clear blue water looked too inviting. The water was so clear I could see the reflection of the clouds. I turned to Jessie and winked. We sat on the rock where the trees shielded the sun yet could still dip our toes into the water if we stretched.

Jessie and I jumped into the water while Bruce played my ukulele. I had taught him some basic chords and he was a natural! We splashed around, sang songs and picked fruits for the entire afternoon. Even though it may seem like a meaningless afternoon to others, it was one of the best ones I had in a really long time.

I didn't want the day to end. But everything has to have an ending. Still sitting on the rock, we watched the blue sky fade into a mixture of pink, orange and amber. The red ball of fire in the distance had never looked more beautiful.

"I wish I could just stop time right here. Right now." Jessie whispered.

"I wish this moment would never end." Bruce mumbled.

The next day came and passed by all too quickly. Jessie and I brought Bruce to Mr Lim's place and explained the situation to him. After which, we went home and helped each other in the cutting of our hair.

I touched the short locks from m rash chop of hair. Jessie used her scissors to cut my hair until it looked shern. Then I did hers.

The last night in the house was too eerie. My instruments were all with Bruce and Mr Lim. All I had was my voice. But in the solemn silence of the night, my voice seemed like an ear-shattering, hair-curling screech.

No comments:

Post a Comment